Schnauzer-Commissioned Pet Portrait, Georgie Girl, Part II

Georgie's preliminary sketch is done. This stage puts on paper what I has envisioning in my mind's eye. Although there might be some minor changes as I start painting, it gives Margaret a good idea of what the end result will be. At this point, I focus more on the composition of the piece than trying to achieve a good resemblance. Finding placement, balance, and harmony with all the elements is the purpose of a preliminary sketch.

 The foundation looks more like an abstract painting.

 Working on the background, adding trees and branches.

 Many layers were added at this point, but many more to come to create depth, texture and richness.

All the fallen leaves and grass will require much detailed work. To make sure I don't waste time on areas that will be covered over by Georgie, I painted a base coat outlining her shape.

From abstract to impressionistic.
Many more days will be spent on Georgie's surroundings, but it's been an excellent beginning. 

Comments