My First Landscape - Dawn on the River Thames, St Marys, Ontario


Detail - Dawn on the River Thames, St Marys, Ontario
Last summer, Paul, a dear friend of mine, took me on an early morning canoe ride. Hearing him talk about the beautiful scenery, the wildlife he encounters and the serene environment he enjoys while paddling on our Canadian waterways is a real pleasure. Although I love being outside in my garden, I can't say I'm the outdoorsy type, but I jumped at the opportunity when he offered to take me on the Canadian Thames. He provided canoe and paddles, safety vests along with his expert paddling skills. I provided hot coffee and homemade cinnamon buns. The weather was perfect. I took many shots that morning and one of them was the reference for my first landscape. It was refreshing to have a different point of view for a change. One usually sees the river from its banks on terra-firma, but seeing the banks from the boat was inspiring.

Below are the progress shots.

Dawn on the River Thames, St. Marys, Ontario
30" x 40" Acrylic on wood
The sun was just coming up behind the trees and the water was calm like a mirror.
I won't hide the fact that it was a difficult project for me, in subject and in size.
I almost gave up three times, but I believe in challenging myself. Besides, I'm stubborn and hate to admit defeat. I'm glad I persevered as I'm very pleased with the end results - pleased enough to want to do more landscapes.

Here it is in my studio, lit up from the bay window.

Thank you, Paul, for providing the opportunity and inspiration to try something new.

Comments