Schnauzer-Commissioned Pet Portrait, Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl, aka Georgie, aka George
2004-2015
A new pet portrait is about to start, this time of a beautiful Schnauzer named Georgie Girl, commissioned by her human mom Margaret. Georgie Girl passed away last year, taken away too early by illness. She has left a real void in Margaret's life as Georgie was the perfect companion dog anyone could wish for. I understand too well these circumstances. A portrait of my dog in my home brings me comfort and I'm confident a portrait of Georgie will do the same for Margaret.

Georgie Girl lounging in absolute comfort
In Margaret's words, here is a little biography on Georgie Girl:
Georgie girl, mostly known as Georgie or George was born July 27, 2004. I had done two years or more of research to find just the right puppy and just the right breeder. George was to be my first dog as an adult, I had waited a long time to get a dog, and waited for just the perfect time to get one. ( I work long hours and waited until my dad moved back in with me so that someone would be home with her). Georgie was a unique girl right from the beginning. It was if she was created to be just for me. She was a calm and easy puppy. We attended lots of puppy/ dog training because it took ME so long to get it right. But she was very patient. In fact patience was her strongest characteristic. A friend used to refer to her as Eeyore from Winnie-the-pooh, somber, patient and stoic. I learned to groom on her, and was able to poke and prod her at will, she never even lifted her lip to complain. With her health challenges she had lots of vet visits, she was always patient and accepting of whatever had to be done to her. Georgie was loved by everyone...even my non-dog loving friends ( well it takes all kind eh?😋 ). She was really very sweet. Georgie loved loved people too. Any opportunity to go out and about was great. She hated going in the car ( but travelled well if reluctantly), but loved being in new environments. We used to go off leash hiking with a group and although she didn't really "play" with other dogs, she loved exploring off leash as part of a pack. Georgie had very little prey drive ( no chasing for her!) but she loved to sniff and explore. This is why piles of leaves were always a favourite - lots of smells trapped in a pile to be released when I would kick part of the pile into the air! Being outside is when you saw the most light-hearted part of George. Although she didn't really play much with other dogs - an exception was a good doggie friend she spent lots of time with - she would watch other dogs play in the yard, join in the chase sometimes, and put herself in between other playing dogs if she thought it was getting too rough. Inside the house she loved to be close to me, following me from space to space and cuddling next to me until she got too hot ( then she would move to the floor). George was here for too short a time - I was hoping for at least another 4-5 years, but in her time she taught me many lessons: • Be patient with those learning • The value of holistic medicine • The value of a healthy diet and how to choose a quality pet food • The value of chiropractic adjustment • Take joy in every day • Spend is much time outside as possible • Spend time with friends • Always remember to slow down and sniff ( smell 😊 ) the roses ( grass, leaves, goose poo etc etc) • Be stoic through the bad times because they are just part of the journey. • For me, the feel and texture of her fur is my strongest memory, running my hands through her fur and rubbing her ears as she lay beside me. Hopefully this gives you an idea of her personality and helps you "know" her.
Illustrations by E.H. Shepard featuring A.A. Milne's characters - Winnie the Pooh, Eeore and Christopher Robbin.
Based on Margaret's words, Georgie Girl had a very easy going, calm and stoic personality, but comparing her to Eeore gave me a very accurate idea of how she really was. Knowing my subject through the words of the owner helps to create a highly customized portrait that has real meaning.
Below are many images of Georgie, all will help me render her as accurately as possible.

Georgie Girl loved the outdoors, even in winter
Sweet smile of Georgie Girl
Georgie Girl curling up for a snooze
Georgie with her Yorkie sibling Charlee. 
When Charlee was first adopted (Happy Tails Rescue), Georgie wasn't sure if she liked having another dog in the house, but she soon became her protector. According to Margaret, she would stick her nose in between Charlee and whatever/whoever she was afraid of. Charlee as a rescue hadn't been socialized with other dogs and was especially nervous around bigger dogs. In a couple of instances, Charlee would seek shelter by standing directly under George. 
Now that's a nice big sister if you ask me.

Illustration by E.H. Shepard featuring Eeore and Piglet.

If Georgie Girl is Eeore, Charlee must be Piglet.

Charlee and Georgie snoozing together
Georgie Girl amongst autumn leaves
Georgie Girl enjoyed the outdoors and all the different smells around - a true Schnauzer in that sense, but the autumn leaves were particularly attractive to her. Amongst the shots I received from Margaret, there was one of an oil painting by Pat McGoey she had purchased at an auction, an obvious reflection of her dog's memory. 

Blue Birch by Pat McGoey
oil on canvas

Needless to say, Georgie Girl will be portrayed laying amongst autumn leaves.

Below are autumn images that will help me create the perfect setting for her portrait.


Margaret gave Georgie Girl a loving home, a pampered life, and the best care a dog could receive all the way to the end. This is something I wish for all pets in this world.


I have everything I need to start Georgie Girl's portrait. Please follow me on this new portrait journey.




Comments