Sally - Part V

Here we are, almost done.

When my client first contacted me about painting Sally's portrait for Thelma, her step-mother, she had mentioned that Thelma had moved to a new home with her father and had left behind a cherished garden. To paint her beloved dog Sally in her cherished garden was the natural thing to do. I used plants and flowers she had in her garden, but I also added some hostas to give some density to the base of the flower bed and a purple sand cherry tree to make sure the environment would not end up too green. The black-eyed susans and the purple cone flowers are in the landscape of their new home and would be a nice symbol of transition. The fir branches on the right are a perfect symbol of remembrance and everlasting spirit and the miniature white lilies just beside, are a discrete testimonial to Sally's passing way. When this painting hangs in Thelma's new home, I think she will have the feeling that Sally is always close by.

A truly meaningful gift from her step-daughter and husband.

It's always good to step away from the painting and not look at it for a while. I usually do final touch ups the next day after which I apply the paper backing, ribbon and decorative nails.

Comments