Sally - Part II

Here is a preliminary sketch of Sally in the garden.

Having owned a black pug, I know there is a challenge in painting black dogs. Since there is low light and low definition within their shape, there is a risk of them appearing as black blobs in the composition. After studying Sally's pictures, I thought that her two front white socks and the white patch on her lower chest were very charming and these features should be evident. Her beautiful hairy hears and tail should also be obvious. Basically, I made sure to define her shape and show-off whatever white fur she has. Her collar will also help in breaking up the blackness.
Using Thelma's garden as inspiration, I could easily imagine Sally relaxing amongst her flower beds. I added a portion of Thelma's garden bench as to convey that she is sitting near her, both enjoying a quiet moment.
I will leave it alone for a while. When I come back to it, I may want to move things around, add or remove things, but I think it's a very good start to Sally's portrait.



Comments