BOARD'EM Fundraiser Art Show-Part IV - Transferring


The transferring process can be achieved with the use of a graphite paper purchased at an art supply store. The technique I use is easy and only requires an HB or darker wooden pencil and a pen. (Don't go darker than a B3 wooden pencil or it becomes too messy.) I simply draw over the lines on the paper template with my wooden pencil.





I then place the paper template, graphite side face down on to the board.



I trace over the pattern using a pen. The graphite from the wooden pencil transfers on to the board.


And I'm left with clear guidelines.


For the underside of the board, unlike the top side, a lot of the background will be showing so I need to apply two coats of exterior white paint.



I prefer painting the beetle directly on the primer so I'm transferring only the contour of the beetle for now. This allows me to apply my exterior paint and I can avoid going into the flying beetle area.

Here you can see faintly the shape of the beetle in a matte finish with the primer untouched.


The background paint was left to dry overnight.


Now that the paint is completely dry, I'll transfer the curved motion lines, proceeding the same way by tracing the lines with a graphite pencil and using a pen to transfer them to the board.


I'll wait to transfer the details of the flying beetle because I don't want it to get smudged while I'm working on other areas.

The next step will be to apply colour to the top side of the skateboard - my favorite part.

Comments