English China and Bird - Part I



The inspiration for this painting, found in one of my art books, is a rare museum piece which combines Asian and European artistry. This blue and white porcelain kendi (drinking vessel) from the reign of Emperor Wan Li was imported to England in the late 16th century. It was common practice for English goldsmiths to create special mountings for exotic objects. Frequently, the goldsmith’s work adapted the object to another use to suit the English taste and needs. By fitting a fragile jug in what I consider a silver suit of armor, the Asian kendi became the English ewer. I thought Madame B., my little budgie lady, would look good perched on the scrolled handle.

Below are shots taken during the last two days.


Violet, my wild child, is often overseeing my work.

But sometimes Beauty takes her place.


Porcelain and silver fittings are done.

Chaz enjoys looking outside while I paint, he keeps my back warm.

Now for Madame B.

 

I should be done by tomorrow.



Comments