Beatrix Potter - Portrait of an Author/Illustrator

After my daughter was born, I became so much more appreciative of Beatrix Potter's work. Her sweet children stories and her gorgeous fauna and flora illustrations of the woodlands around her home could only be born of a genuine love of children, animals and nature. An early environmentalist, she left to England's National Trust numerous properties for preservation. I would like to believe that if she and I had been living in the same times, neighboring one and other, we would have been excellent friends.












Because there are many photograph of Beatrix Potter at different ages, family pictures of siblings and parents aren't needed so much, but I still like to see where her features came from. In her case, I would lean towards her mother. Beatrix's hair was pale brown and her eyes were described by a long time friend as being "shrewd blue". Perhaps because she was a smart business women.

Note how the dogs, border collies, occupy a significant place in her life.
In the family picture, he is front and centre, totally relaxed at the feet of the father. The leg of the father is at an awkward angle as to not disturb the dog. Love it.

Let's see how Beatrix's portrait turns out.



Comments

Post a Comment

Very pleased you dropped in my studio, have a look around and if you wish, leave a comment before you leave. Thank you.