Commissioned Portraits Part V - Truman Maxwell, Ginger Tabby (preliminary sketch)

Truman's preliminary sketch
I have a soft spot for ginger tabbies - they remind me of my daughter, who's a redhead and is very cat-like. But Truman, unlike my daughter, is an extravert.


There were many good shots of Truman, but these ones were very telling to me. He appears to be thinking of his next bit of mischief - super smart, the wheels are turning fast. His eyes combined with an ear turned outward conveys active cerebral activity. In his case, I did a composite sketch.

Lindsey's words:
Truman Maxwell will be 2 years old in July. He is the youngest (besides our hairless kitten) of our animal crowd. My brother works at a metals recycling plant and found a baby kitten wedged in a golf cart battery. He had a broken shoulder and was tiny, hungry, and flea ridden. The first time we saw him, we knew he was meant to be a part of our family. Truman is definitely the most rambunctious and playful animal we have. He is constantly carrying a toy around in his mouth, swatting at the other animals trying to entice them to play, or climbing on top of the kitchen cabinets. I call him my little sidekick because he follows me around the house all day long. He sits on the bottom of the dishwasher while I am loading or unloading, he lays in the clothes hamper while I am doing laundry, and even has a place on my desk for when I am working. He brings a light into our home that only he can provide.


The below shot is very sweet as well. Too similar to Foscoe's, but excellent for colour reference.


Truman is sunshine, but even the sun must set once in a while



Comments