Cherry Blossoms, Fishbowls and Ginger Jar - Completed


Cherry Blossoms, Fishbowls & Ginger Jar
18" x 24"x 3/4"
Acrylic on Canvas
We have been experiencing one of the worst winters in a very long time, and painting this scene has helped me get through it. Cherry blossoms in full bloom on a sunny yellow background is a subject I desperately needed to paint in order to keep me from sinking deep into the winter blues.

Looking at my daughter’s fish swimming in his bowl one morning, he seemed to be completely oblivious of the dreadful cold weather. It made me somewhat envious and inspired at the same time. He reminded me of the wonderfully warm summer days, we spent swimming in Lake Huron. So even a tiny fish, no longer than an inch, can trigger the imagination. I’m very found of Chinoiserie motifs, so the cherry blossom became the background to two fish bowls. A suspended round one, similar to a Chinese paper lantern, for a beautiful red Betta, and another one using a vintage gallon size pickle glass jar for my daughter’s orange guppy and his two friends. Displayed with the fishbowls is a small chinese ginger jar in which the fish food is stored. Let’s hope for an early spring and a beautiful summer – we all deserve it.


Gallon size vintage pickle glass jar for BC and his friends.


Hanging globe fish bowl for Triton.


Small ginger jar decorated with red carps, a symbol of luck in chinese culture.


Comments