Commissioned Portrait of a Lady


I'm about to start on a new portrait project, this time of a lovely lady and friend of the family. I met her about eight years ago through our husbands' work. She and I have so many things in common, it's uncanny. One is her appreciation for old houses. She and her husband live in a beautiful stone house that dates back to the 1920s. It has a remarkable history which I won't get into, other than to say that the Jazz Age can certainly trigger the imagination.

We would see much more of each other if it wasn't for the distance that separates us, but this portrait will make for a nice visual and tangible link between us. Now in her senior years, she chose a younger version of herself as model for the portrait. Why not. Although the years have been very kind to her, I would do the same.


I'll be working with a photo that is dark and slightly blurry, but I will do my own 'twist' on it. When I first saw it, I immediately thought of Edward Steichen's 1927 Vogue fashion shot of a stylish women wearing Cherruit. There are many similarities and will serve as reference for her portrait in regards to the composition. 


Edward Steichen, Vogue, 1 May 1927
Fashion by Cherruit
To the painting I will introduce elements from her own living room, along with a more lively colour palette than in the photograph. My subject has a sparkling personality and a sharp mind. It's a delight to be in her company and I will strive to convey this in my painting. A biography on her life would give a fuller picture of this wonderful woman.

Below is a shot of her living room. The antique Georgian style sofa will feature in the background of the painting. Both sofas are the same style except for the fabric.


Not apparent in this shot is the multitude of Chinese antiques she and her husband own. Very fond of Chinoiserie myself, I will create a chinoiserie pattern for the wall behind the sofa, inspired by a combination of the two images below. I'm not sure if I will include their framed artworks - I will see when I get to that point - but the area rug will be present under her feet.

Chinoiserie Wall Inspiration
Detail Sofa Pattern
Area Rug
I'm not afraid of mixing different patterns together - very challenging,
but very 'Couture'. 

Below are three examples of wonderful painters who have been fearless with patterns.
George Hendrik Breitner
Alan Banks
Aristide Maillol
Join me and see how this portrait turns out.

Comments