Commissioned Portraits Part VII - Colour Inspiration



Here we are, Lindsey's pack is reunited. At this point, I want to make sure that all is balanced and that the pack looks good hanging together. I've flipped Boji to the right so he faces inwards - he guides the viewer's eyes clockwise. Scanning each sketch and resizing them if necessary makes my job a little easier. Each sketch will be printed and used as templates for their respective canvases.

Colour inspiration for each pet is taken from flowers. At this time of the year, I desperately need to see flowers, but I won't be depicting the actual blooms. I will be using them more for colour references and in small details.

Boji's collar will have hues of purple found in hydrangeas. Despite his pint size, Boji has a big personality. Like the hydrangea's bloom, it's quite big and showy, but in fact it's composed of a multitude of tiny flowers.

Ahnali's bandana will have hues of pink found in peonies. All little girls like pink after all.
Like Ahlani, peonies are big and take up a lot of space, but they are so sweet and delicate at the same time.

Foscoe's beding will be velvety red like a rose, the symbol of love. Also, red velvet is often used for throne upholstery. 

Truman's duvet will have hues of yellow gold found in the sunflower. What else could be more appropriate for the sunshine boy.


When drawing Oskar's ears, I thought of exotic orchids. Clean stems and very few leaves, the orchid, like Oskar, is very stylized. The blue of his eyes will also be found on his plushy baby blanket.

Now, I need to make sure that all is good with Lindsey before I start painting on Monday. Changes and corrections are always easier to do early on, but anything is possible all the way along.

Comments