Fleury, Yorkshire Terrier - Part II



The last couple of days were spent researching the elements of Fleury's portrait. I went through my decorator books, my interior design magazines and all my photographs to help me visualize the perfect setting for Fleury.


Fleury, as you can see, is very photogenic, but there are expressions that only the dog's owner will recognize as being the essence of their dog's personality and Carol's favourite shot of Fleury was the one seen below (also seen in the previous post). In Carol's words: "... I was so connected to Fleury and he to me that the thought of letting him go was ridiculous. I have probably fostered over 100 dogs in the years that I have spent in rescue and this phenomenon rarely happens. I can love them and let them move on quite easily but I knew that Fleury was different." 


It's a plongĂ©e shot of Fleury, showing the floor surface around him and his bed nearby. He's looking up with bright attentive eyes. This is what I call a million dollar face. I wanted a beautiful area rug for Fleury to be laying on, surrounding him with a floral pattern. Something masculine and refined that would not overpower him, but would contrast nicely with his coat. His doggie bed would have to be nearby, because that's were his toys were kept safely. He was especially fond of the little hedge-hoge plushy twins. One was cremated with Fleury and the other is with Carol, but both will be back with Fleury, in his portrait. 




Many rugs, some too prissy and some too bold, but...


... this one was perfect.


Blankets for texture, drape and warmth...


... and more texture for his doggie bed.


Here is a preliminary sketch of Fleury. I started drawing using a vertical orientation, but soon realized that horizontal was the way to go. That rug will be quite a challenge, but it will add richness. It has to be as gorgeous as Fleury, but subtle as to not steal the show. There will be some tweaking along the way, but I feel pretty good about this composition. When the pieces come together effortlessly and I can see the end result in my mind's eye, that is usually a very good sign. Still, I'll leave it alone for a little while and see how I feel about it tomorrow morning.

Comments