My Fashionable Past

My career as a fashion designer spanned 20 years. I worked successively for three companies under their own company banner. The anonymity suited me fine, I always considered myself a "behind the scene" type. The craft of designing clothes was what I enjoyed most. I started my career in Montreal in the fur industry. At that time, factories were still in operation on the premises, so I worked side by side with pattern makers, seamstresses and fur experts. The fur industry in Canada is struggling - understandably so - but it's part of Canada's history and I won't apologize for having worked in it. I feel lucky to have worked with such highly specialized craftsmen and women. It gave me a real understanding of all the work that goes into producing a unique garment and a real appreciation for handmade items. It also gave me a peek (like a wide-eyed child looking through a keyhole) at a world of luxury that only very few have.

Would I want to work with real fur again? No. I live, learn and love animals too much.

Here are a few of my designs that were advertised in catalogues and magazines.


Comments