Commissioned Portrait - Grandfather and His Cat, Part X

 I had two false starts for this hand. The first one being too 'shell like', 
it felt like there was something under it.

 This one was too slender and the direction inwards didn't feel comfortable or natural.

This one was much better. It had the 'bulk' of my subject's hands and it lay flat on the armrest in a natural way.

Hands are so different from one individual to another. My subject's hands are strong and have a squarish' shape. He's a grandfather so he has freckles, age spots and some wrinkles,
but doesn't appear to have any signs of arthritis. I don't know yet if he wore a wedding band, but it will be easy enough to add it in later if he did.


Here we are. As is often the case, I notice things to be corrected the next day. Here I feel like tapering off the tips of the fingers a little. I find them too square at the ends. 
But I'm really pleased with the skin.


Like in a face, a hand must have hundred shades of flesh coloured tones.

Comments