Commissioned Portrait - Grandfather and His Cat, Part VIII

 I wasn't happy with the plaid pattern I had started last week so I started over. Using a graphic pencil I drew a basic grid to guide me along.

Here I'm working on the sleeve. Because the canvas is fairly large (18" x 24"), and to prevent sagging and stretching, I'm using a crossbar to support my hand.

Moving on to the body, you see an enlarge portion of the plaid pattern. I'm not into hyperrealism,
I won't get into painting the fine thread lines and intricate weave of a plaid fabric but I'm working at rendering a convincing illusion.

Starting on the other side of the body and finishing off with the other sleeve.
The plaid pattern needs more refining, but I'll give it a rest for now and do touch ups as I'm working on other areas.


Plaid shirt of my client's Papa.
 The collar and cuff will be done after I paint the hands and the head. To rest my eyes from the plaid pattern, I would simultaneously work on the pants. 
Abraham, the cat, will be the main subject for the next few days. 
I shifted his position slightly so we can see his beautiful white paws.

Comments