Portrait Commission - Grandfather and His Cat


White Lily. photo: A. K. Busby
A new commission is about to start, one that is outside my comfort zone. I'm always thrilled to be given the opportunity to challenge myself. I haven't done many people portraits, let alone, a person with an animal companion, but it is in these circumstances that I grow the most as an artist and a person. In these cases, I find the end results most satisfying. 

Regrettably, this project will be veiled with sadness as the gentleman that will be portrayed, the grandfather of my client, has recently passed away. 
None the less, it will be a project filled with love and appreciation.

My client's grandfather, 'Papa'.
My client's words about her Papa: 
It is hard to believe but my mother did not tell anyone that she was pregnant with me. She never went to the doctor, did not know my due date, never got to hear my heart beat inside of her, or any of the other things most pregnant women experience. My mom was only 19 and living in the dorms at her first year of college. My dad was also a freshman in college, they had broken up months before my arrival, and had not spoken recently. I always try to think about how everyone must have felt that Halloween night, so many years ago when they got the call from the hospital that I was born. My dad became a father overnight, my grandparents all jumped into their new roles, and my mother sacrificed so much to give me the love and life I have had. 
Everyone always tells me stories of how my Papa changed that day. My mom's brother, Phillip tells me that my Papa was not always the nicest man. He could be short tempered, hostile, and just cold sometimes. The day I was brought into his home his heart changed, I become his "baby girl", a name I cherish to this day. I recently helped my Nana clean out some drawers at their house and I found a project I did in my senior year of high school. I did a 6 page project about my Nana and Papa. It included pictures of me when I was a baby with my Papa, pictures that I will hold and have to remember forever. My mom and nana tell me that my Papa was crazy about me. He put me to sleep everynight, rocking me on his chest. As I got older my Papa thought I could do no wrong. He would not even let my own parents discipline me in front of him. My mom and I lived with my Nana and Papa until I was three years old, the year my parents were married. They tell me that Papa cried that day and was so ill that I had to move, even if it was just right around the corner. 
Growing up and hearing these stories about how much my Papa loved me always made me feel like I was his special person in this world and he was mine. At my Papa's recent funeral I said these next words about my teenage years. I, like most teenagers did not always get along with my parents. I also did not always make the best decisions. My nana and papa were always there for me through my worst ones and never fussed, judged, or turned me away. I spent many weekends and summers there even after I got my own car. They have never stopped being a constant in my life and for that I will be forever grateful. 
Recently my Papa had had his fair share of health battles resulting in the amputation of his right leg above the knee. This surgery occurred just before Easter of this year. The endurance, strength, and drive he showed in gaining his independence again was amazing. All of his grandchildren were in awe of the positive, loving actions and words that were flowing from their Papa on a daily basis. He had his struggles but overcome them and was gaining back his life again. My Papa was able to do his favorite thing in the world, play golf, twice after he lost his leg. The amount of accomplishment and gratitude I know he felt being back on the green with his own "two legs" was universal. I had recently put him in contact with the Amputee Golf Association in the US. He became a member of their organization recently and was excited to learn more about how to better his golf game with his prosthetic leg. My children's relationship had grown tremendously with my Papa in the last couple months. They helped make tons of art work to decorate his hospital room and made plans to hit the golf course together. My nana has mentioned to me multiple times that one of the most touching, meaningful things that happened between my son and Papa was when Weston was telling Papa "bye" and laid his head on Papa's nub. For Weston to not be scared at all that Papa was missing half of his leg meant so much to him. My papa knew that no matter what, his family absolutely adored and loved him and the courage we saw in him during the ordeal of losing his leg made him more of a hero to us than he had ever been. In the early hours of Monday, November 3, my Papa died of a sudden massive heart attack. This was a major shock to us all and has been the most difficult time of my life. As I experience this level of heartbreak that I never knew existed I try my best to find comfort in knowing my Papa is no longer in pain and struggling with the mental and physical limitations of his amputation.
His beloved cat Abraham

My client's words about his cat Abraham: 

Here is the bio on Abraham Dougherty, the cat. I graduated high school in 2005 and had plans to attend college at Appalachian State University in the fall of that year. For three months that summer I stayed with my friend Jodie in her apartment. We decided to get two kittens, hers was a long-haired grey kitten named Trina, mine was Trina's brother, a long-haired black and white Maine Coon, I named him Abraham. Trina and Abraham were sweet kittens, they got plenty of love and attention from Jodie and I and the neighborhood kids. The kids would bring their stroller around and ask to take Trina and Abraham on a walk. The time came for me to have to leave for college. My dad is allergic to cats and would not let Abe stay with them. The next choice was my grandparents’ house. My mom and I cried the whole way to my Nana and Papas house. My papa had not even told my nana they would be taking the cat. He would have done anything for me, and knew how much I loved Abraham and wanted him to have a great home and that exactly what they gave him. Abraham became the star of the house. My nana and papa loved him so much from day one. He had the best cat tower, toys, the most expensive food, sheets on all the couches, his own bed room; he was spoiled. Abraham had a special relationship with my papa. My papa had recently lost his leg and was home with Abe almost all the time. He would still get up every morning at 5 am, get himself in the wheelchair, and roll down to feed Abe. I know that Abe was a big comfort to my papa. After my papa’s death, Abe has been the best therapy for my nana. He will sit with her while she cries but also demands her to get up and try to keep living her life, because, hey, he still has to eat. As I am sitting here in my papa’s blue recliner with Abraham writing this I know that my papa is forever grateful of the cat that I brought into their lives.

Their favourite spot, the blue recliner and the cat tower.

Follow me on this very emotional portrait journey.

Comments