Seventh Heaven - Fashion Painting


Seventh Heaven - detail
Several years ago, I came upon a pair of oval metal frames in an antique/vintage store. Surprisingly, their convex glass was intact with only a few minor scuffs and scratches. The frames were delicately ornate, in the rococo style, but the gold finish looked tired (since then spray painted black for a clean and sleek look). In their glory days, this pair had framed reproductions of old European masters. I thought, why not use them to frame new paintings of my own. Many subjects came to mind, but I settled on what I know well - fashion. Vintage fashion would be appropriate in this case, to go with the age of the frames. The title for the second painting is Seventh Heaven. Keeping with the vintage fashion theme, this silk satin draped gown with black hat and gloves was inspired by the works of two legends in the fashion design world - Christian Dior and Pierre Balmain. 
My daughter wears well the ultra-feminine style of bygone years. Then again, my mother always said "Quand on est beaux, tout nous va bien". 

The cloudy background and the somber palette represent the times we live in. 
Seventh Heaven
Framed Behind Convex Glass
12" W x 16" H
Seventh Heaven
Unframed, 9 3/8" W x 11 3/4" H
Acrylic on Masonite







Cloud Nine and Seventh Heaven

I find satisfaction in giving old objects new life and I hope my work, in these frames, will hang proudly in some one’s home for many years to come. 

Note About the Frames These two paintings are framed with vintage metal frames circa 1950. No cracks or chips in each of the convex glass, but a few minor scratches and scuff marks that do not detract from the artwork and overall beauty of the pair. Unless otherwise pointed out, I don’t think anyone would even notice these minor signs of age and I believe that they add to the authenticity of their vintage nature. 
The metal frames have been spray painted with a high quality semi-gloss metal paint.

Cloud Nine and Seventh Heaven are sold as a pair.

Check my Etsy shop 'studiovignette' for availability

Thank you for the interest ♥️


Comments