Cloud Nine - Fashion Painting


Cloud Nine - Detail

Several years ago, I came upon a pair of oval metal frames in an antique/vintage store. Surprisingly, their convex glass was intact with only a few minor scuffs and scratches. The frames were delicately ornate, in the rococo style, but the gold finish looked tired (since then spray painted black for a clean and sleek look). In their glory days, this pair had framed reproductions of old European masters. I thought, why not use them to frame new paintings of my own. 
Many subjects came to mind, but I settled on what I know well: fashion. Vintage fashion would be appropriate in this case, to complement the age of the frames. 

The title for the first one is Cloud Nine. 
The inspiration came from a 1951 fashion photograph of a model wearing a stunning hat and long white gloves by French designer Jacques Fath. 
In my version, the model is my daughter wearing a black velvet dress with a sequins scarf on the hip. 

The cloudy background and the somber palette represent the times we live in. 

Clouds Nine
Framed behind Convex Glass
12" W x 16" H
Cloud Nine
Acrylic on Masonite
Unframed, 9"W x 11 3/4" H



Cloud Nine and Seventh Heaven
I find satisfaction in giving old objects new life and I hope my work, in these frames, will hang proudly in some one’s home for many years to come. 

Note About the Frames:
These two paintings are framed with vintage metal frames circa 1950. No cracks or chips in each of the convex glass, but a few minor scratches and scuff marks on the bombay surfaces. These do not detract from the artwork and overall beauty of the pair. Unless otherwise pointed out, I don’t think anyone would even notice these minor signs of age and I believe that they add to the authenticity of their vintage nature. The metal frames have been spray painted with a high quality semi-gloss metal paint.

Cloud Nine and Seventh Heaven are sold as a pair.
Check my Etsy shop 'studiovignette' for availability

Thank you for the interest ♥️

Comments