Smokey the Blue Merle Shetland Sheepdog - Commissioned Dog Portrait

Smokey
Blue Merle Shetland Sheepdog
I'm about to start a new dog portrait, this time of a beautiful Blue Merle Shetland Sheepdog named Smokey. I rarely have the pleasure of meeting my subject in 'flesh and fur', but this time my client is a fellow St Marys resident.

Smokey lives with his human dad Rick and his grandmother on a lovely country property surrounded, by acres of land, and in summer, flowers, flowers and more flowers.

When we met, Smokey was relaxed, welcoming, super friendly, very affectionate, and remarkably well mannered. A perfect dog. His puppy vitality was still present. Smart as a whip, he noticed everything.

Meeting my subject in his own environment, I got a real sense of his personality and temperament. I also saw the love. Smokey is one lucky boy to have been adopted by Rick.

Smokey as a puppy
Here he is on the right, a tiny pup with his sibling


The 'Adorable Stage'
I'm also lucky to have so many great shots of Smokey at different stages of his life and in different situations. I have shots of him outside, inside, running, sleeping - all very useful for the making of his portrait. They show not only his coat markings and colouring, but his happy life. I did not post all the shots I got from Rick, but the ones that spoke to me the most. You will see how photogenic he is; definitely not camera shy like some dogs.


Smokey's dad is an excellent photographer, which makes my job easier. But he's also an artist/craftsman in his own right, creating beautiful native Indian-inspired work. He's also an expert horticulturist with an impressive collection of irises amongst other botanical species. Below are a few examples of his art gourds. 

Rick Mann
ramphotography2002@msn.com
(519) 630-5080
Rick Mann on Facebook


Coming back to Smokey, below are my two favourite shots. Considering his dad's enthusiasm for the culture, I thought incorporating this native style blanket would be perfect for the painting, along with some art gourds and baskets.


This one, which shows Smokey relaxed and comfortable on the sofa, captures perfectly his sweet face and his magnificent coat. Both Rick and I loved it.


I also have a close-up shot of his beautifully unique eyes - perfect!


I have everything I need to start on Smokey's portrait. Follow me on this new painting journey.

Comments