Boardem 2 / Up-Cycled Desk Lamp Using Old Skateboard

Photo courtesy of Stonetown Skate/Bike Park Facebook
You might remember Boardem, a fundraiser to build a new St Marys skate/bike park in which local artists transformed old or new skateboards into works of art. Although I had but a minuscule part in this community project, it was really satisfying to see it progress and become reality. You can visit the Stonetown Skate/Bike Park page on Facebook to learn more.

Photo courtesy of Stonetown Skate/Bike Park Facebook
The official opening of the skate/bike park took place last Friday Oct 11th. At each ends of the ribbon are Jamie Foreman (left), the instigator of this project, and St Marys' Mayor Grose. Many people, businesses and organizations, local and afar, helped in the funding of this park.
It was wonderful to see people of all ages come together for the opening ceremony.

Photo courtesy of Stonetown Skate/Bike Park Facebook
Kids from all around use the skate/bike park on a daily basis. It looks like it's so much fun.
Ahhhh, to be young again...

In any worthwhile project certain people become bonding agents. That person is our own 'woman extraordinary', town councillor and owner of Pass It On Carey Pope, seen here with Mayor Grose and MPP Randy Pettapiece. But with any project comes unforeseen expenses such as fencing, therefore renewed fundraising efforts are in the making. 


When Carey called in 2012 for artistic submissions using old skateboards, my answer was 'The Rainbow Beetle Board (both sides below).

This year Carey has again collected old skateboards for artists to paint,


but this year I decided to do something different.


I used my newly acquired power tools to create something 3D.


I began by taking apart an old lamp and spray-painted the metal black. This lamp was so irritating because it nearly always fell over. The base was too lightweight and unstable. It ended up boxed up in a closet, but I knew that someday I'd find good use for it.


Made a few sketches to help me visualize the end result.


Measured and cut the board, being very careful not to lose a finger in the process.



Using my drill, I added more holes so that the shade would have some uniformity. I drilled a bigger hole in the centre of the square base for the electrical cable to pass through.


I accentuated the wood grain with a permanent marker...


then varnished everything and let it dry overnight.


Proceeded to assemble everything.


I wired the metal legs to the wooden base. The board had just the right amount of curve to give room to the electrical cable.


Attached the wooden strips to the metal rings.


Here we are, my up-cycled desk lamp made from an old skateboard.

Boardem Ambiance Lamp
Base: 7 1/2" x 7 1/2"  Height: 15"  
Using a 25 or 40 watt lightbulb, this little lamp is better suited to create ambiance than as a task lamp, but it's very stable now. Using two objects that had lost their purpose, I created a new one that is useful and unique. It will be part of the Boardem 2 Fundraiser, later this year.

Comments