Star - Belgian Shepherd - Part III

 The morning started with outlining the shapes of the cartouches and sanding the interior. 

 I then painted the background choosing a colour that would complement the warm tone of the box. A black dog looks striking on pretty much any colour, but the green was a natural choice given the photograph and the natural theme of the cartouche. I painted many layers starting from turquoise and blending into a true green.

This is almost a miniature painting. Star's head, without the ears, measures one inch, so the smallest paint brushes are needed for this job. A fraction of a millimetre off and she can have a strange or funny look about her. A small painting requires less paint, but it doesn't necessarily mean less work. It also means less coffee to avoid a shaky hand.

I've started on the branch frame of the cartouche and the cascading flowers. It's almost 5:00 pm, so I will call it a day. Besides, it's gloomy and rainy and I'm loosing the precious daylight that enables me to continue. She has a nice big bone to chew on while I'm gone.

Comments