Star - Belgian Shepherd - Part II



This is the photo Chelsey and Mel gave me to do Star's portrait. I think it's excellent. One might think, why not do Star in winter time since she loved the snow? Well, a black dog in a white environment would look very stark on a warm tone wooden box. 
This way, I think the white blooms symbolize the snow.

One of my favourite reference books dealing with walls, furniture and objects is Decorative Designs by Graham Rust. Published in 1996, the exquisite naturalistic style within makes it just as relevant today. Rust has many cartouche examples, which is what I'm looking for.

Here is an excellent example of a dog framed within a rococo style cartouche,
but it's much too fussy for Star.

This example is more the style that I'll use to inspire me for Star's portrait. It's freeform and natural.

I love how the branches, fruits and leaves create a delicate frame for the subject and enclose a solid colour background. Very inspiring.

Here were are, a rough sketch of Star's portrait in proportion to the size of the box with a delicate natural frame of maple leaf branches, vines and cascading white flowers. It's a good sign when I can see, in my minds eye, the end result in colour.

For the front of the box, a small cartouche with her name and her dates.

I've cut some vines and a maple leaf branches from my back yard to bring nature inside my studio.
Almost ready to start on the box. I'll sleep on it and if I still feel strongly about these first sketches, will start tomorrow.

Comments