Chinoiserie - 18th-century Writing Cabinet



When I see something I totally love, but can’t possibly have, I paint it. This gives me the feeling that I own a little bit of it even if it’s only an illusion. Somehow, this satiates me. This 18th-century writing cabinet was made in England to imitate Chinese lacquer. It had been specially made to be  presented as a gift to a Portuguese royal family.


This painting is in a much larger size than usual, but the many details planned in the composition will feel like a succession of miniature paintings. After I'd done the base coat of the drapes, I decided to remove them because I felt they were too distracting from the main feature of the painting.


A soft yellow chinoiserie wall is an appropriate background. Rhododendrons, bamboo, little red birds complement without competing. Like a powerful Emperor, it stands proudly, displaying a multitude of finely crafted Chinese antiques. Ginger jars, urns, plates, bonsai, etc...


More porcelain, brass and jade sculptures are planned for the little cubbies.



18" x 24" acrylic on canvas
Chinoiserie Writing Cabinet
Here it is completed after two intensive weeks. My imaginary ginger cat, Mr Stripy Suit, feels safe between the two big lion paws. 





Nothing imaginary about my dogs. Here is Chaz (aka the Sasquatch) between the legs of my easel.
Thank you for dropping in.

Comments