Portrait of a Peony

Portrait of a Peony

(La Pivoine)

Original Painting on Book Glued Shut

4 1/4” X 6 1/4” X 3/4” (15.75cm X 10.5cm X 2cm)

Acrylic on up-cycled hardcover book glued shut.


The traditional floral symbol of China, the state flower of Indiana, and the 12th wedding anniversary flower, peonies are known as the flower of riches and honor. With their lush, full, rounded bloom, peonies embody romance and prosperity and are regarded as an omen of good fortune and a happy marriage. Because of my fashion background, I associate the peony with the skirts of the French cancan dancers.

The books I use to paint on are found in second hand stores. They often have torn out pages, scribbles and the front and back cover usually have scratches, punctures or water damage. All this, in my artistic opinion, adds to the character of the piece. Gluing the pages together and closing it shut to dry completely transforms a fragile damaged old book into a very stable element to paint on and will retain it’s original and identifiable book shape. I find great satisfaction in giving an old book a new life.







This new collection depicts the flowers from my garden, the grounds surrounding my home, the Dusty Victorian.


Comments