The Blue Bearded Iris


Even if I enjoy working with graphite, I can't stay away from colour for very long. Here is the portrait of a Bearded Blue Iris from a photgraph I took this spring. I have quite a patch growing on the side of my house.

Like with the pink peony, I used an old hardcover book glued shut to paint on.


The papers glued at back are separated by a pretty embossed pattern, often seen on old books.


The fleur-de-lis, is derived from the shape of the iris flower. France, Florence and Quebec, my home province, have the fleur-de-lis as their emblem. In Chinese art, the iris is recognized as the dancing spirit of early summer. Its soft, fluttering petals are reminiscent of butterfly wings, flapping gently in the breeze. The iris symbolizes faith, hope, friendship and wisdom. To me, it’s the elegant lady of the flower world.

Comments