St Marys, an "Artsy" town

I haven't been in my studio very much. All my painting projects have been put on hold since the nice weather arrived so that I can work outside in the garden and on my windows and shutters. I find winters terribly long and difficult, so when spring hits I'm out like a shot and stay out as long as I can. Only private commissions bring me inside. But today it's raining...

Hunting for a home took us to numerous towns and cities in Ontario. Driving into St Marys, we knew right away that this was the place we would settle in. Here are some of the businesses in St Marys that were born from the artistic entrepreneurial spirit of their owners.
The Opera House, which was built in 1879-80, sets the tone.
It no longer serves as a performance venue, but it remains a formidable symbol. It has become a rental apartment building with businesses on the main floor, including the Morris Art Gallery.
.
Another favourite building is the one in which MacPherson Craft Supplies is found. Note the beautiful French-inspired architecture with its mansard roof. MacPherson's is a very well-stocked store specializing in the craft of making life-like dolls. I get all my art supplies there.
Next to MacPherson's is the the Little Falls Artisan Crafter's Market. It's bursting at the seams with tons of handmade crafts from all over Ontario.
.
Then we have the Castle Garden. Its owner has a very good eye in selecting beautiful garden ornaments. Both businesses are located in century old buildings near the bridge overlooking Canada's Thames River.
Then we have the very Victorian Anstett Jewelry building with a functioning clock that rings every hour on the hour. It's been owned and operated by the same family since 1950.

Few little towns can boast three very sweet places: a chocolate and candy maker, the Chocolate Factory; a chocolatier and pastry shop, Mollet's Designer Desserts; and an artisan vegan on-line bakery shop, Goodness Bake Shop. How lucky can one get.

This town also has several floral designers... and I've rarely seen so many hair salons in one small area.
Mobius Dance Studio is very well-respected in its field.
Village Craft & Candle has an extensive selection of very fragrant candles made on the premises. There are several more artist and artisan-base businesses I could name; these are a few of my favorites. It can't be easy for small business owners to compete with the big box stores that are growing like mushrooms on the outskirts of towns. In the short period of time we've been here, we have seen several small businesses close down and the downtown is showing signs of neglect and decay. I'm no expert in how to run a town, but a few questions arise:

Could the town be more active in promoting its own artists, artisans and shop owners?
Could its business association keep up with the latest marketing strategies?
Should the town be more strict in its building and zoning by-laws?
Should it force business owners to clean up, beautify and maintain their facade?

I say, definitely yes, to all of the above.

But overall, St Marys is one of the most beautiful and charming towns we have ever come across; I can only imagine how amazing it could be if it was in tip-top shape. I invite you to click on Town of St Marys to see more of it.

Comments