Jewelled Hawk Moth with French Lilac


 Miniature acrylic painting of a jewelled hawk moth resting on a French lilac. 

The hawk moth is an amazing insect as it mimics the flight of the hummingbird. One has to be fast and aware to spot the difference. I have three French lilacs growing on my property. More than enough to make myself a big bouquet. Their lovely perfume attracts all kinds of creatures and marks the beginning of really nice weather in my area.

Insects are fascinating to me, they appeal to my sense of detail, especially if they are made of noble metals and are incrusted with precious stones. 
These can land on me anytime as they never bite or sting. I like to combine what is traditionally repulsive with what is universally attractive. 

I'm inspired by the beautiful antique pieces of jewellery from the Victorian and Edwardian era, but a few vintage pieces have caught my attention as well. When I can't find the appropriate piece of jewellery, I use a pic of an actual insect for inspiration. I also take much inspiration from my garden. Most of the flowers in my paintings grow around my house. The colours and textures of the blooms, similar to luxurious fabrics, pair wonderfully with jewelled insects.

Custom orders are always welcome and make for the most meaningful gifts.

Check availability in my Etsy shop - link in side bare.


.








💜




Comments