Miniature Sparkly Creatures - Bee, Wasps, Stick bug, Praying Mantis, Spider

Gem Set Honey Bee & Hollyhock
4" x 4" x 1" acrylic on wood

This gold bee, set with opals, topazes, diamonds and turquoises, looks like an 18th-century automata made for royalty. Like a precious little robot, I imagine her buzzing, opening and closing her wings and doing her waggle dance. This one might look like it would cost a small fortune and be handled with white gloves, but it’s the real bees that are priceless. 
To me, bees are really royal, unlike humans.
Bees symbolize life, community, the sun and everything that is positive. 

I’m currently reading a book on the Warré hive - Une ruche respectueuse des abeilles: 
La ruche Warré, édition de Terran.
Not a honey production hive meant for high yield and easy honey extraction, the Warré hive is primarily designed for the bees’ wellbeing in promoting an environment similar to one found in wild hives. The sun hive and the log hive are other examples of hives that are man made, 
but not meant for the commerce of honey.


Gem Set Wasps & Morning Glory
4" x 4" x 1" acrylic on wood


Wasps & Morning Glory
These three narrow-waisted sparkly creatures look like delicate fairies, but don’t be fooled, they are fierce, alert and organized gang members. Have been stung six times after I inadvertently damaged an underground wasps nest while weeding - a painful memory. This being said, I admire their courage in retaliating. If a giant attacked my house with a sword, I would like to think I could be as courageous. 


Gem Set Stick bug & Honeysuckle
4" x 4" x 1" acrylic on wood


 I’ve never noticed stick bugs while gardening. They’ve mastered the art of camouflage. But I would have absolutely no trouble spotting this sapphire and diamond one.

.

Gem Set Praying Mantis & Delphinium
4" x 4" x 1" acrylic on wood


To me the praying mantis is the super model of the insect world.
Elegantly clad in a diamond and sapphire gown, she turns her head and strikes a pose against a delphinium backdrop. Who could resist these big ruby eyes. The mantis is a symbol of stillness. A perfect ambassador for the benefits of meditation, silence and calmness.
(check availability)
.

Gem Set Spider & Cactus Flower
4" x 4" x 1" acrylic on wood

For this painting, I used a pic of a real garden spider to create this jewelled one. Many people are afraid of spiders, I can understand. They make me uneasy, but I admire how resourceful and independent they are, they weave their own destiny. The spider symbolizes mystery, growth, and power. This spider, resting on a cactus flower, is ready for a night out with a faceted large amethyst, diamonds, pearls and jade eyes. 

Comments