Old Tree on the Thames, St Marys, ON


Last summer, I took this shot of the Thames from the Nature Trail. Colours and life were bursting around the old tree below. As the sun was setting, pinkish hues reflected in the water. I feel very fortunate to have daily access to the Nature Trail and its Sarnia Bridge. St Marys inspires.
Nature Trail, Sarnia Bridge, St Marys, ON
Below are shots of the work in progress.


My studio is located on the main floor, but in winter it doesn't get enough light, especially when days are shortest. Now that my daughter is off to college and in residence, I use her bedroom as a temporary studio. Not the best exposure, too bright when days are sunny,
but sunny days are rare winter.
I use my easel for foundation work and...


my table for detailed work.


Details such as a million and one lily pads and leaves.


I have trouble getting through winter, but I find that immersing myself in painting summer scenery really helps in forgetting for many hours of the day that I live in a northern country.
To give you an idea of the difference from summer to winter in my area, I took a shot of the same tree earlier in January. Note that the shot below is a colour photograph, not black & white.


Comments