Curling: The Game He Loves - Portrait of Josh Mitchell

Detail - The Game He Loves
My first 'sports portrait'.
I'm probably the least sporty person on the face of the Earth, but I believe it's good to challenge one's self in areas one is not naturally drawn to.

Below is the photograph I was given showing my client's son in the sport he loves, curling. 
Josh is perfectly balanced, in curling delivery, and the intensity of his focus says it all. It's a great shot, very dynamic, bold and colourful. The feet of the other players add clutter and distract from the main subject - they were removed. The blue and red circles make for a bold pattern in the background and the stones are what I call the 'soprano notes' in the composition - essential.


For this project, I chose a 12" x 16" birch wood panel with a 1 1/2" thickness.
It has a contemporary feel - perfect for this subject.


The wood surface was primed.


I drew a rough sketch directly on the surface to be painted.


A shot of the painting in progress.



Here is Josh's photographed head on the left and a good painted resemblance on the right.
It was very important to me to get the intensity of his gaze - a/k/a, the eye on the prize. In the painting, Josh's face measures 1 1/2", it's almost a miniature portrait. If I'm off by a fraction of a millimetre, here and there, it makes a big difference and I loose the resemblance.


I think the stones add much interest to the composition.

(cutie pie)
George 'Joshua' David Mitchell
- The Game He Loves -
12" x 16"
Acrylic on wood

Thank you Allin for entrusting me with the portrait of your son.
You must be so proud.

Comments